A Pee Protest

I am a person that likes to organize my days. Even now that I am "between churches", I need to have a schedule and a routine. For example, today I was going to wake up, drink a lot of coffee, do my daily devotional, work on some Sunday school lessons, and after lunch, drive to the Pottery Barn/West Elm outlet to look for things for my new house. Yeah, that was the plan. Until I opened facebook. There, I saw a posting from a local colleague about a press conference this afternoon given by clergy in opposition several proposed anti-LGBTQ state bills, including Texas Senate Bill 6, the "bathroom bill" which will, if passed, prohibit transgendered people from using the bathroom in which they are most comfortable and safe. The organizers of the press conference are calling on all supporting clergy to show up, in collars and stoles, to lend support. And, my plans have now changed.

Now it would be easy for me to assume that other folks have got this covered and go on my merry way to outlet nirvana. But earlier this year I made a promise, or a vow, or an oath. I did what I have often told congregations to do - find your cause and fight for it. I always ask, "What is the one thing about this world that bothers you the most? What is the one thing that you just can't back down from? That is your cause." And my cause, my rock that I will stand upon and shout to the world, is equality and respect for the LGBTQ community - both within the church and in the community.

Now why have I chosen this cause? Well, it does affect me and my family. My son is gay. Always has been, always will be. As Lady Gaga put it in our recent Super Bowl half-time show in front of millions, "Baby you were born this way!" Fortunately, my son has been raised and coddled in a very accepting bubble of family and school. He has never experienced the kind of hate and discrimination that many others have. My earliest memory of homophobic behavior was when the dad of a childhood friend came out. Jokes and hurtful comments filled the halls of the school (it was a small town and everyone knew). My friend was often in tears about the comments directed toward her loving and attentive dad and I was very confused because I knew Mr. Duval and he was a really nice man.

As I grew older, I saw two high school friends kicked out of their homes because they dared to come out. I saw many other high school and college friends struggle with their identities and fear coming out to friends and family because they didn't know how they would be accepted. I've had clergy colleagues and seminary friends who had to choose between staying in the closet and switching denominations in order to be faithful to their call to ministry. And, sadly, I now hear stories of my son's friends, a whole new generation, who aren't accepted for who they are by their own families.

But even more than my personal experience with homophobia and my dozens of friends who are lesbian and gay, I feel that this is a Biblical issue. Jesus told us to "Love one another, as I have loved you."(John 15: 12) As far as I know, Jesus has loved me unconditionally - every part of me. My body, my mind, my sexuality, all of it. And if Jesus has loved me that way (and I know I don't deserve it), then I will love my neighbor that way! And that means standing beside them and standing up for their rights.

In particular, I find this "bathroom bill" to be horrendous policy. To force a transgendered person, especially a child, to use a bathroom that is contrary to their identity is asking for bullying, harrasment and sometimes, even violence against the transgendered person. A transgendered woman is a woman! She looks like one, thinks like one, acts like one. The only thing a transgendered woman wants to do in a ladies' room is pee (and check her makeup). There are already laws that prevent men from using ladies' rooms and I have never heard of a "man" dressing up as a "woman" in order to sneak into a bathroom and attack someone. Crime statistics show that predators don't have to go to such lengths. So, in addition to this proposed law being against the human rights of all transgendered people, it is also a useless and embarrassing attempt to "keep women safe." And by the way, what woman has not sneaked into the empty men's room at an event because the line at the ladies was out the door?

My devotional reading this morning was from John 15 and, as often happens, one verse jumped out at me. "You did not choose me, I chose you and appointed you to bear fruit - fruit that will last..This is my command: Love each other." (John 15: 16-17) So, you see, I have no choice to cancel my trip to the Pottery Barn and go stand with my colleagues and members of the LGBTQ community. I will show my support. This is my cause, my fight, my issue, and I will keep pursuing it until I bear the fullest, most delicious fruit for the Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God Speaks from the Fire

Prayer. Why Bother?