You Can Do Better Alabama


I think we can all agree that the political world is getting uglier and uglier. Ideological lines have been drawn over health care, tax policy, immigration and the Mueller investigation. The latest battleground is over sexual misconduct and how we should react when those we elect, or propose to elect, are accused.

Now the idea that our male politicians are hound dogs (no offence to the poor puppies) when it comes to women comes as no surprise. Infidelity and sexual scandals involving our leaders go way back. King David comes to mind. And don't forget that Thomas Jefferson had children with one of his slaves (wrong on so many levels). But the cultural climate is changing. Things that were acceptable even a couple decades ago are being called into question. I admit that I voted for Bill Clinton twice and still supported him even after the Monica Lewinsky scandal. I felt that his policy positions outweighed what I felt was consensual activity among adults. I now feel differently. I understand more about the power dynamics involved and what it says about the man and his lack of respect for women. I view Monica and his other accusers as victims and deeply regret what the media did to them.

Times have changed. Women are standing up and saying #MeToo. Celebrities, media personalities and politicians are being outted as serial sexual abusers and harassers. I believe it's terrible and unacceptable for any person to violate another's personal integrity or safety, but quite frankly, my decision with regards to celebrities or media personalities is only "Will I watch them or not." But with politicians, especially those who actually represent me, whether at the state or national level, I have to ask "Can I, in good conscience, give my power to this person and have them represent me on some of the most important issues our country faces?"

So that brings me to Roy Moore. I am not a citizen of Alabama, so I realize that my opinion doesn't "count", but after seeing the President and the Republican Party endorse him, and hearing interviews with good Christian voters from the state, I cannot keep quiet.

First, let's all agree that he has not been found guilty of anything by a court of law. But we can answer a few other vital questions. 1) Is there a preponderance of evidence of guilt? From the victim statements, to contemporaneous witnesses, to cards and yearbook inscriptions, I believe we can say, yes, Roy Moore crossed a line with more than one teenage girl. 2) Was this a pattern? Again, yes. There are statements from at least 5 women who say that he was inappropriate, to varying degrees, with them when they were teenagers. 3) Has he admitted guilt and apologized to his victims? No. In fact, Roy Moore denies everything and has slandered these women calling them all liars - even corroborating witnesses.

But, despite this preponderance of at least "something creepy", thousands of Christians are throwing their hat in the ring with him because apparently, it is better to vote for a potential pedophile and confirmed bigot than a Democrat. This is the state of our politics.

But to all those Christian voters, let me point out Matthew 25. Jesus said that we will be judged upon how we treat the least in our society - those with no voice, the poor, the hungry, the prisoners, the sick - not, as some Alabama Christians believe, by sticking the Ten Commandments on public property or discriminating against LGBT citizens. We are judged by what we do as Christians, not what we say. Sometimes, those who shout "Christian values" the loudest are the ones who are living out those values the least. What are Christian values? According to Galatians, love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. If you see these values being lived out by Roy Moore, then go ahead and call him a Christian and give him your vote. But to me, a gun-waving, LGBT-hating, teenager-molesting, bigot does not exemplify Christ. And people of Alabama, you can do better!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God Speaks from the Fire

Prayer. Why Bother?

A Pee Protest