Take A Breath, and Move Forward

It's been exactly a week since the inauguration and what a week it's been! It seems like a whirlwind, or maybe a shit-storm, depending on your point of view. You can't turn on the TV, or the radio, or open a newspaper (does anyone do that anymore?) without screaming headlines about executive orders, or agency directives, or even, heaven help us, crowd sizes. If you are like me, then your facebook feed has been full of virtual screaming too. Pundits are analyzing, interest groups are mobilizing, well-meaning friends are posting opinions and links and articles. And, I just need to...take a breath. Hit pause for a moment. Reflect instead of react.

It doesn't matter on which side of the political fence you find yourself. I think we all could use a timeout. Not a big timeout, not a permanent timeout. But a little room for the Spirit to move around a bit. We need to remember what is most important to us, but more importantly, to God. We need to move carefully to prevent permanent ruptures in our families, our churches, and our society. But at the same time, I don't want to forget what my friend, Rev. Jennifer Mills-Knutsen says, "Faith faces forward." Faith not only faces forward, but it moves forward too.

So what is my faith telling me? First, that I must stand with the oppressed. Jesus was always on the side of those on the margins - the poor, the disabled, the foreigners and the forgotten. He didn't avoid the rich and the powerful (or have any less love for them), but when he did encounter them, he was always challenging them with the same message of inclusion, justice and fairness. It was at the banquet of a prominent Pharisee that Jesus shocked them all by saying, "But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind and you will be blessed."(Luke 14:13) With that in mind, and other Scripture that shows Jesus' concern for the marginalized, I will judge all political positions and laws by how they will affect those for whom Jesus has special sympathy.

Secondly, as a Christian, I am called to be bold and speak the truth to power. Remember Nathan? God gave him the confidence and necessity of speaking the harsh truth to King David about his conduct. David, who had no problem ordering the death of those people that he found inconvenient. Nathan had to tell him "You are the man," the one who has shown no pity. Theologian Walter Brueggeman tells us that "Truth is not a set of propositions in the Bible, but a cluster of relationships.Those are relationships of dignity, well-being, security and respect."In his book Truth Speak to Power, he challenges Christians to offer a "sneaky whisper" in the face of power. Although, maybe sometimes that needs to be a bold shout!

Thirdly, I must never abandon the central tenet of my personal faith, which is "God is love." If I want to share God and Christ with the world, then I must do so lovingly. I know that many of my friends and family may disagree with some of my political stances, and vice versa. But my love for them will never fail. I pray daily for our leaders, both parties and the President, for the Holy Spirit to guide their thoughts and actions.

Faith moves forward. It does not curl up in a hopeless ball and "wait out" the bad times. It does not rely on "can't we all just get along" platitudes. It does not stand on its high and proud pulpit and shout down to the masses. Faith moves within communities who mirror Christ's love. Faith moves in the halls of power. Faith moves in difficult spaces. Faith moves, even when it's getting slammed from all sides. My faith in Jesus Christ moves me to always, always, always speak up for the marginalized.

So, people of faith, take a breath, collect your thoughts, gird yourself for a long march, and move on!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God Speaks from the Fire

Prayer. Why Bother?

A Pee Protest